Associate Producer, Information Morning (English Services) - HAL00286
Job Family: Programming (TV-Radio-Web)
Primary Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Status of Employment: Permanent, Full-time
Work at CBC/Radio-Canada
At CBC/Radio-Canada, we create content that informs, entertains and connects Canadians on multiple platforms. Our successes and accomplishments are driven by embodying and upholding values, which include creativity, integrity, inclusiveness and relevance.
Do you think you have the ability and drive to keep up with this exciting, ever-changing industry? Whether it be in front of the camera, on air, online or behind the scenes, you would be joining a team that thrives on making connections and telling stories that are important to Canadians.
CBC Halifax, Nova Scotia is looking for an energetic, forward-thinking, creative Associate Producer to take on a vital role of associate producer of our early morning radio program, Information Morning. You will direct the program as well as participate in the production, direction and/or post-production of the morning show and/or program segments. Very strong editorial and radio production skills are required. The successful candidate will be skilled at creating content for multiple platforms, and demonstrate exceptional skills in verbal and written communication, as well as story generation. You will have a proven track record in radio. You have on-air experience as well as producing local stories on a wide range of news and current affairs topics.
You understand the diverse and changing population of Nova Scotia and the importance of reflecting all our communities in our content. Representing and understanding diverse communities is a priority for CBC Nova Scotia; this position will play a key role in this initiative.
Guidance and direction are regularly available from one or more producers, but there is latitude for initiative and independent judgment. Work must comply with CBC/Radio-Canada journalistic and program policies, standards and practices. There may be opportunity to coordinate the work of others and close cooperation with the program unit is essential.
• Direct the live morning program.
• Contribute ideas for program content; participate in the preparation of program objectives.
• Assist in developing program content, including writing, researching, and/or editing. Prepare scripts; ensure adherence to the style and format of the program.
• Organize the participation of interviewees, creative contributors and other participants; develop background, introduction, and line of questioning; conduct or arrange for any necessary research; and ensure the briefing of hosts. Maintain contact files.
• Draft and post online articles related to the show as needed.
• Promote program content on social media.
• Participate in the evaluation of all aspects of the production.
• As required, perform the following tasks:
• Select music, sound effects and/or actuality.
• Produce program elements.
• Assign, direct and coordinate the work of other personnel working on a project for which the producer is responsible.
• Edit and mix, or direct the editing and mixing of, audio and/or visual elements.
• Write continuity texts; edit copy; edit and prepare announcements for broadcast or online posting.
• Edit, encode, digitize and package audio and video material for a website using appropriate technologies.
We are looking for a candidate with the following:
• University degree or equivalent.
• Two or more years’ relevant experience during which the candidate would gain exposure to journalism, computers and the technology of radio/television broadcasting and digital services.
• Experience in booking interview guests, developing lines of questioning, writing focused introductions, and preparing and writing tape segments.
• Capable of original and creative thought in the production of news for radio, TV and digital platforms, with demonstrated writing skills.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; good team player.
• Comfortable with the demands and needs of a daily radio morning show.
• Strong organizational skills; ability to handle a variety of functions quickly and efficiently.
• Ability to solve problems independently and in group discussions (openness to new ideas and approaches).
• Ability to work early hours and overtime as required.
• Understanding of the structure and workflow of CBC News in regional centres, and ability to build and maintain strong relationships with counterparts in other centres.
• Strong knowledge of Nova Scotia and communities.
• Ability to go live on the air and interact with the host.
Please provide a link to your demo or portfolio of the work you feel showcases your talents.
Candidates may be subject to skills and knowledge testing.
If this sounds interesting, please click on ''Apply online''. We thank all applicants for their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
CBC/Radio-Canada is committed to being a leader in reflecting our country’s diversity. That’s because we can only create and tell the stories that connect Canadians, by having a workforce that mirrors the ever-changing makeup of our country. That’s why we, as an employer, value equal opportunity and nurture an inclusive workplace where our individual differences are not only recognized and valued, but also extend to and pervade all the services we provide as Canada’s public broadcaster. For more information, visit the Diversity and Inclusion
section of our website. If you have accommodation needs at this stage of the recruitment process, please inform us as soon as possible by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
You are invited to consult and familiarize yourself with our Code of Conduct, which can be found on our corporate website. All employees must adhere to the Code as a condition of employment. We also invite you to take a look at our policy on conflicts of interest. In the event that you become an employee, it will be important to inform us, as quickly as possible, of any situation that, because of your hiring, constitutes or could appear to constitute a conflict of interest.
Wherever in the wording of the job description either gender is used, it shall be understood to include all genders.
Please apply online at: https://rita.illicohodes.com/go/5f1ed736c7c983057415901a/55155cf112497d1f5916e365/en