Executive Producer (English Services) - THU00046
Job Family: Programming (TV-Radio-Web)
Primary Location: Thunder Bay
Status of Employment: Permanent, Full-time
Work at CBC/Radio-Canada
At CBC/Radio-Canada, we create content that informs, entertains and connects Canadians on multiple platforms. Our successes and accomplishments are driven by embodying and upholding values, which include creativity, integrity, inclusiveness and relevance.
Do you think you have the ability and drive to keep up with this exciting, ever-changing industry? Whether it be in front of the camera, on air, online or behind the scenes, you would be joining a team that thrives on making connections and telling stories that are important to Canadians.
We are looking for a dynamic, creative individual to lead the team at CBC Thunder Bay as Executive Producer for News and Current Affairs.
You are committed to reflecting contemporary Canada inside your newsroom and through the content we create. You thrive on conversation -- both with staff and the communities we serve.
You put audience needs at the centre of your decision-making. You understand the role of the public broadcaster in building a stronger local community and in building a stronger Canada. You have a strong knowledge of reporting within Indigenous communities. You are a champion of creating an inclusive news and current affairs team, in your editorial choices and within your team.
As Executive Producer, you will be responsible for all journalistic content on radio, online, mobile, social channels and on television stories when required.
You think strategically: you can set direction and delegate effectively. But you aren’t afraid to roll up your sleeves and do the hard work. You thrive on mentoring developing journalists.
You understand that daily news can be a flat-out sprint to deadline, with a myriad of complex decisions to make along the way. You know how to balance out the daily demands with longer-term projects. You are courageous, willing to invest the time and effort where you can truly make change.
Your work -- and that of your team -- adheres to CBC Journalistic program policies, standards and practices.
The person occupying this position is the senior editorial leader for northwestern Ontario, and expected to live in Thunder Bay. You are responsible for all news and current affairs programs and content online, on mobile, on radio and television. You take the role of a public broadcaster seriously, putting the audience first and ensuring that the content produced by CBC Thunder Bay is relevant, informative and engaging. You have well-developed leadership and communication skills and the ability to mentor and direct staff both in person and remotely. You demonstrate a high level of creative thinking, the ability to originate and develop innovative programs and/or production concepts, as well as the ability to make immediate decisions in complex and stressful environments.
· Oversee all journalism at CBC Thunder Bay.
· Lead journalistic staff in strengthening our connections with communities.
· Diversifying the range of voices, opinions and creative storytelling the audience sees and hears on CBC Thunder Bay.
· Strengthening our content through critical thinking and creative vision.
· Responsible for resource allocation including budget.
· Writing and vetting as required.
· Forging strategic partnerships with CBC colleagues in other locations (Ontario and beyond).
· Ensuring Canadians hear and see the stories of northwestern Ontario.
· Leader and champion of our Digital Strategy.
· Responsible for team development by mentoring and providing opportunities for growth to editorial staff in Thunder Bay. This includes ongoing feedback and the utilization of established personal development processes.
· Responsible for leading staff in strategic planning for a continuously changing media environment.
· Perform all or part of the function or duties of an equivalent or lower classification.
· University degree or equivalent.
· Five (5) years’ experience which must involve work in journalism or a closely related industry, and experience leading program or project teams.
· Strong and demonstrated understanding of traditional and emerging platforms.
· Proven leadership skills.
· Superior editorial skills.
· Highly developed vetting skills.
· Thorough knowledge of CBC’s Journalistic Standards and Practices.
· Strong news and information background.
· Demonstrated ability to exercise both quick editorial judgment and long term strategic planning.
· Understanding of Thunder Bay/norwester Ontario’s political and cultural landscape, with a demonstrated knowledge of Indigenous communities and issues.
· Superior communications skills.
· Highly developed interpersonal skills.
· Highly developed organizational skills.
Candidates may be subject to skills and knowledge testing.
If this sounds interesting, please click on ''Apply online''. We thank all applicants for their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
CBC/Radio-Canada is committed to being a leader in reflecting our country’s diversity. That’s because we can only create and tell the stories that connect Canadians, by having a workforce that mirrors the ever-changing makeup of our country. That’s why we, as an employer, value equal opportunity and nurture an inclusive workplace where our individual differences are not only recognized and valued, but also extend to and pervade all the services we provide as Canada’s public broadcaster. For more information, visit the Diversity and Inclusion section of our website. If you have accommodation needs at this stage of the recruitment process, please inform us as soon as possible by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
You are invited to consult and familiarize yourself with our Code of Conduct, which can be found on our corporate website. All employees must adhere to the Code as a condition of employment. We also invite you to take a look at our policy on conflicts of interest. In the event that you become an employee, it will be important to inform us, as quickly as possible, of any situation that, because of your hiring, constitutes or could appear to constitute a conflict of interest.
Wherever in the wording of the job description either gender is used, it shall be understood to include all genders.
Please apply online at: https://rita.illicohodes.com/go/606ccd231c22bf051b2fee22/55155cf112497d1f5916e365/en