Full Time Senior News Reporter/Anchor Position
Are you an experienced, detail-oriented, self-motivated newsperson looking to make a change in your life?
Come work in the land of the midnight sun! Known as “The Wilderness City,” Whitehorse is a dynamic small city that’s a dream for outdoor enthusiasts. With the Yukon River running right through town and over 700 kilometres of trails, the Whitehorse area is an ideal destination for mountain biking, fishing, kayaking, hiking – you name it.
The city itself has a vibrant arts culture, a burgeoning culinary scene, and colourful festivals in every season. As a capital city that has hosted the Canada Winter Games and international sport events, Whitehorse also has some world class indoor and outdoor recreational facilities.
Tempted to get in on the compelling career opportunities the North has to offer? Do it in Whitehorse, where Vancouver is less than a 2 ½-hour flight.
We know that if unless you’ve been here, Whitehorse can seem like a bit of a mystery. Here are a few links to check out for a glimpse of Yukon life:
And now for the job... The Yukon’s #1 radio station is hiring a full-time Senior News Reporter/Anchor.
Compensation range: $60,000 - $75,000/Yr
Senior News Reporter/Anchor Responsibilities
• Positive mentor to on-air news talent – cultivating productive work environment
• Regular air-checks for on-air news talent
• Monthly meetings with General Manager and on-air news talent
• Coach writing skills and help edit stories
• Research, gather and prepare compelling local and national news stories
• Work with management in recruiting on-air news talent, as needed
• Establish work schedules for news department
• Edit voice clips in digital format
• Ensure local news content is being fulfilled
• Build newscasts using Burli Software
• Delivering daily live news and sports
• Prepared to cover unscheduled newsworthy events (I.e. fires, shootings, accidents, etc.)
• Cover the municipal and territorial government along with the territorial courts
• Attend press conferences
• Actively engage/monitor social media and other pertinent websites
• Work with on-air news staff to maintain news presence on social media and website
• Willing to have a flexible schedule (I.e., working week ends)
• Ensure that all content is compliant with the regulations and laws of the CRTC and National NewsMedia Council and any other authority that has jurisdiction over the company
• Represent CKRW The Rush in a professional and respectful manner
• Protecting The Rush brand – respect the listener & represent the station and brand with integrity
• Other duties, as assigned by the General Manager
Senior News Reporter/Anchor Skills and Qualifications:
• Minimum 5 years working full time in a newsroom or equivalent journalism experience, news management experience considered an asset
• Post-secondary education in Radio Broadcasting or Journalism
• Strong on-air delivery
• Excellent interpersonal, computer, and communication (verbal and written) skills
• Self starter, highly motivated
• Experience with Burli software
• Skilled in social media
• Ability to work independently and as a team
• Ability to work under pressure, handle associated stress, and react quickly
• Excellent organization and problem-solving skills, with attention to detail
• Professional attitude and disposition towards colleagues and external clients
• Valid Drivers License
CKRW The Rush 96.1 FM offers a benefits package for permanent, full-time employees, which includes major medical, dental and vision.
Please submit a link to your Soundcloud/Youtube or MP3 audio demo, cover letter, resume, and a sample of your writing to:
Subject Line: Senior News Reporter/Anchor