News Director – Nelson, BC
Are you looking for a career that offers challenging work, long-term growth potential and the chance to make a real difference? Then join our team. With more than 250 employees our team is passionately dedicated to their communities and is committed to generating exceptional local radio.
Are you a detail-oriented news hound who wants to lead a winning team? Are you social media savvy and ready to implement your vision in a dynamic, exciting environment? If your answer is yes, then apply to be News Director in Nelson, British Columbia for the Kootenay Region with Vista Radio.
• Develop a writing and air check schedule for all on-air news talent
• Establish a weekly one-on-one call with direct reports within the market(s)
• Liaise with the Director of News to ensure local news content is being fulfilled
• Provide news staff with story ideas (including streeters), coaching and mentoring on localizing large national/international stories.
• Establish scheduling for sick days, holiday coverage etc.
• Participate in the monthly Vista News Directors conference call
• Help maintain news presence written/video quotas on websites
• Responsible for sourcing and writing news stories for multiple markets as required.
• Edit and anchor news, sports and weather as assigned
• Utilize social media to build audience and contacts
• Being a positive leader in the building and assist in creating a winning team attitude
• Represent the station at community/station events
• Minimum 5 years working full time in a newsroom or equivalent journalism experience, news management experience considered an asset
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Strong on-air delivery
• Knowledge of video and Adobe Premier considered an asset
• The ability to work within a fast-paced environment both individually and with a team
• A valid driver's license
• Working familiarity with Adobe Audition, Newsroom, and on-air software is a big-time plus.
• Ability to use and excel with social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.)