News Editor Presenter, Radio (English Services) - WIN00877
Job Family: Programming (TV-Radio-Web)
Primary Location: Winnipeg
Status of Employment: Permanent, Full-time
What it’s like working at CBC/Radio-Canada
At CBC/Radio-Canada, we create content that informs, entertains and connects Canadians on multiple platforms. Our successes and accomplishments are driven by embodying and upholding values, which include creativity, integrity, inclusiveness and relevance.
Do you think you have the ability and drive to keep up with this exciting, ever-changing industry? Whether it be in front of the camera, on air, online or behind the scenes, you would be joining a team that thrives on making connections and telling stories that are important to Canadians.
We are looking for an experienced Radio News/Editor Presenter at CBC Manitoba. You are a key player in the news team. The successful candidate is an exceptional journalist, leader and thrives in the fast-paced, high-pressure world of news.
Reporting to the Executive Producer, you'll also play an integral editorial and leadership role in preparing and presenting the news for a province-wide audience. You will contribute to the planning, design and organization of the program, propose program ideas, conduct interviews on or off-air, and interact with program participants. You will write and edit radio scripts in coordination with the assignment desk and the reporting team.
In this role, you will ensure that all CBC journalistic standards are met and that our stories are fair, balanced, accurate, thoughtful, immediate and resonate with the communities we serve. You will further our original, enterprise and investigative storytelling and ensure we are talking about what matters most to people throughout the province. You’re innovative and will try new things, new workflows and new story treatments. You inspire others to do the same.
As the industry shifts, local news and community storytelling is more important than ever. You will understand the diverse and changing population in Manitoba and the importance of reflecting all our communities in our content.
· Plan, organize and deliver radio newscasts and news/weather breaks every 30 minutes.
· Chase breaking news on tight deadlines in coordination with the assignment desk.
· Write and edit radio scripts.
· Conduct interviews on and off-air.
· Interact live on air with radio hosts and program participants.
· Pitch original story ideas.
· Demonstrated understanding and awareness of issues and events particular to Manitoba and to daily news.
· Demonstrated connection to and understanding of the diverse and underrepresented communities in Manitoba.
· Strong desire to live and promote the values of diversity and an inclusive and respectful work culture.
· Excellent reporting, interviewing and writing skills.
· Ability to generate original story ideas and creative treatments;
· Engaging on-air presence.
· Ability to evaluate and analyze a broad range of issues, and to tell those stories with clarity and in a manner that relates the stories to the people affected by them.
· Strong presentation style and ease with live, on-air work.
· Ability to present material with credibility and authority in a range of situations including live events and breaking news.
· Ability to work effectively under pressure and deadlines.
· Strong interpersonal and team playing skills.
· Creative, flexible and self-motivated.
· Ability to work a variety of shifts including early starts, late finishes and weekends.
· Journalism degree or equivalent preferred.
· Four years of comparable and relevant experience that demonstrates knowledge of the broadcasting industry preferred.
We also want to hear what you sound like! Please include a link to your audio demo in your cover letter.
Candidates may be subject to skills and knowledge testing.
All employees of CBC/Radio-Canada are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as of December 1st 2021 unless exempted based on a medical/religious ground. As per this requirement, employees must attest to their vaccination status. The requirement for employees to be fully vaccinated applies whether they are teleworking, working remotely or working on-site. This is a condition of employment and it applies to all employees. Should you reach the point in the selection process where it is necessary to verify if you meet the conditions of employment, you will be asked to provide an attestation confirming your COVID-19 vaccination status.
If this sounds interesting, please click on ''Apply online''. We thank all applicants for their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
CBC/Radio-Canada is committed to being a leader in reflecting our country’s diversity. That’s because we can only create and tell the stories that connect Canadians, by having a workforce that mirrors the ever-changing makeup of our country. That’s why we, as an employer, value equal opportunity and nurture an inclusive workplace where our individual differences are not only recognized and valued, but also extend to and pervade all the services we provide as Canada’s public broadcaster. For more information, visit the Diversity and Inclusion section of our website. If you have accommodation needs at this stage of the recruitment process, please inform us as soon as possible by sending an e-mail to email@example.com
You are invited to consult and familiarize yourself with our Code of Conduct, which can be found on our corporate website. All employees must adhere to the Code as a condition of employment. We also invite you to take a look at our policy on conflicts of interest. In the event that you become an employee, it will be important to inform us, as quickly as possible, of any situation that, because of your hiring, constitutes or could appear to constitute a conflict of interest.
Wherever in the wording of the job description either gender is used, it shall be understood to include the other gender.
Please apply online at: https://rita.illicohodes.com/go/6228e336f9290baec1b3d598/55155cf112497d1f5916e365/en