Full Time News Reporter/Anchor Position
Come work in the land of the midnight sun! Known as “The Wilderness City,” Whitehorse is a dynamic small city that’s a dream for outdoor enthusiasts. With the Yukon River running right through town and over 700 kilometres of trails, the Whitehorse area is an ideal destination for mountain biking, fishing, kayaking, hiking – you name it.
The city itself has a vibrant arts culture, a burgeoning culinary scene, and colourful festivals in every season. As a capital city that has hosted the Canada Winter Games and international sport events, Whitehorse also has some world class indoor and outdoor recreational facilities.
Tempted to get in on the compelling career opportunities the North has to offer? Do it in Whitehorse, where Vancouver is less than a 2 ½-hour flight.
We know that if unless you’ve been here, Whitehorse can seem like a bit of a mystery. Here are a few links to check out for a glimpse of Yukon life:
And now for the job... The Yukon’s #1 radio station is hiring a full-time News Reporter/Anchor.
Reporter/News Anchor Responsibilities
• Research, gather and prepare compelling local and national news stories
• Edit voice clips in digital format
• Build newscasts using Burli Software
• Delivering daily live news and sports
• Work closely and practice effective communication with other news team members & members of staff
• Be prepared to cover unscheduled newsworthy events (I.e. fires, shootings, accidents, etc.)
• Cover the municipal and territorial government along with occasional coverage of the territorial courts
• Attend press conferences
• Actively engage/monitor social media and other pertinent websites
• Willing to have a flexible schedule (I.e., working week ends)
• Ensure that all content is compliant with the regulations and laws of the CRTC and National NewsMedia Council and any other authority that has jurisdiction over the company
• Represent CKRW The Rush in a professional and respectful manner
• Desire to grow with our team and our company
• Protecting The Rush brand – respect the listener & represent the station and brand with integrity
• Occasional delivery on-location broadcasts
• Other duties, as assigned by the General Manager
News Reporter/Anchor Skills and Qualifications:
• Post-secondary education in Radio Broadcasting or Journalism
• Experience working full time in a newsroom or equivalent journalism background considered an asset
• Experience with Burli software
• Skilled in social media
• Ability to work independently and as a team
• Ability to work under pressure, handle associated stress, and react quickly
• Excellent interpersonal, computer, and communication (verbal and written) skills
• Excellent organization and problem-solving skills, with attention to detail
• Professional attitude and disposition towards colleagues and external clients
• Valid Drivers License
CKRW The Rush 96.1 FM offers a benefits package for permanent, full-time employees, which includes major medical, dental and vision.
Please submit a link to your Soundcloud/Youtube or MP3 audio demo, cover letter, resume, and a sample of your writing to:
Subject Line: News Reporter/Anchor