CHON-FM is looking for a News Reporter
CHON-FM Indigenous Radio is looking for a News Reporter to join its dynamic team.
The News Reporter is responsible for gathering, writing, producing News Stories for on-air distribution. They will focus on stories relevant to Yukon’s Indigenous population, especially focusing on Yukon’s 14 First Nations and the communities they govern and live in.
The News Reporter will read the news and develop ideas for features stories and interviews on behalf of the CHON-FM Team. They will attend events, conduct and record interviews about they event, and produce the stories for radio. They may be asked to conduct live interviews and to fill-in for other hosts.
This position also requires knowledge of radio production software and procedures.
• Identify news stories;
• Research, write, and produce news content for radio broadcasts;
• Present live newscasts in on-air studio setting;
• Operate technical radio equipment in studio and field production environments;
• Learn new technology;
• Create content for the website and social media streams;
• Conduct interviews on a wide variety of topics;
• Travel to communities to cover events;
• Other related duties as assigned by the General Manager.
Knowledge and Skills:
• A degree or diploma in journalism, communications, or the equivalent in experience and training.
• Some knowledge of Yukon First Nations history, geography, and culture, including the Umbrella Final Agreement, First Nation Final and Self-Government Agreements;
• Knowledge of issues affecting Indigenous people in Canada;
• Confidence to interview leaders such as Chiefs, Elders, and other Indigenous leaders, as well as Yukon’s Premier and Cabinet Ministers, mayors, academics, etc.;
• Ability to learn and operate specialized radio and newsroom software;
• Awareness of copyright issues related to social media and radio content;
• Strong research and analytical skills;
• Interviewing skills;
• Cross-cultural knowledge and emotional intelligence.
The News Reporter will follow the policies of Northern Native Broadcasting Yukon (NNBY), CHON-FM’s parent company. Following professional broadcast and news journalism guidelines, the incumbent must show clear understanding of the role of a journalist as independent, unbiased and ethical at all times. The News Reporter will have aheightened level of cultural sensitivity with respect to the Indigenous peoples.
Conditions of Employment:
• Valid Yukon drivers license;
• Signing an Oath of Confidentiality;
• Ability to travel throughout Yukon communities;
• Willingness to work some evenings and weekends;
• Ability to meet daily deadlines;
• Ability to work as part of a team.
• Ability to take direction, but also work independently.
This position is for 40 hours per week at $30 per hour.Candidates of Yukon First Nation or Indigenous ancestry who meet the above requirements will be given preference.
To apply, please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com