Title: Podcast Producer
We’re LumiQ – we’re changing the face of professional education by putting an end to the dull boardroom-style learning sessions on old technology webinar platforms.
Our platform focuses on audio learning, offering verified continuing professional development (CPD) through engaging content with a modern and convenient user experience.
Our beachhead market is in accounting, where we help designated CPAs get their CPD hours through engaging podcasts with business leaders. CPD is the required learning that CPAs generally loathe doing. They’re tired of dealing with boring webinars, irrelevant content and product experiences that are out-of-date.
That’s why they’ve flocked to LumiQ and our mission to make CPD enjoyable. With over 180 episodes, a slick mobile app, automatic CPD tracking and new episodes weekly, we’ve reimagined what professional education looks like.
Reporting to the Head of Podcast Production, this role will be influential in shaping the tone and direction of our educational podcasts. Our podcast producer will be responsible for keeping the train on the track—from guest management (past guests include Jim Balsilie, Navdeep Bains, Michael Katchen, and more) to helping shape the narrative for each episode, to creating a final product that combines education and entertainment (we like to call it edu-tainment). Our podcast provides insightful and engaging discussions with top business leaders, blending a casual conversation style, with deep dives into a variety of subjects, providing an enjoyable alternative to other CPD solutions out there. What we are doing is unique, hard work, and exciting. You should definitely apply if:
-You are a story teller with a Production or Journalism background: You understand narrative, especially within non-fiction and audio formats. You know how to communicate without being verbose, and can write copy that is both exciting and educational. You have a portfolio of related work you can show us.
-You are critical thinker: You feel comfortable and enjoy being able to use your judgement to cut audio, create compelling copy, figure out the best way to tell each guests story, and don’t lose sight of the big picture/strategy while executing the day-to-day.
-Collaboration and prioritization come easily to you: This role will require balancing multiple stakeholders, schedules, and team members input. You will need to prioritize all of it in a way that everyone feels heard, things are done in a timely manner, and results in the best end-product for our customers. We output 3-4 podcasts per week, so an ability to move fast while keeping all this in mind is important.
-You are very organized and detail-oriented: Because this role has multiple podcast on the go at any given time, you’ve developed processes and strategies to stay extremely organized. You see updating the project management tracker as a key to success rather than an annoying administrative duty.
-You are proactive: You do not sit around, waiting to be told what to do. You are great at anticipating problems before they happen, love to suggest ideas on how to make things better, and place a lot of importance on creating content you are proud to attach your name to.
-You have an interest in the world of business and finance: Because these are educational podcasts for CPAs, you should have an interest and some knowledge of business and financial concepts. While an extensive finance background is not necessary, an ideal candidate will be familiar with business and finance terms, trends, and concepts.
What You’ll be Responsible For:
Like any start up, you will be expected to wear many hats, but your main duties will revolve around the podcast production. As you progress in the role, your scope of duties and responsibilities will grow. In the beginning your main responsibilities will include:
Episode Prep (20% of your week):
Through some trial and error, we’ve come to realise how important all the pre-recording work really is. We would like you to:
• Pitch episode and show ideas
• Schedule, prep, and coordinate guests
• Do in depth research of guests and their industries to help inform the narrative of each episode, and identify potential topics
• Support the host with scripting and outlining episodes as needed
Audio and Copy (75% of your week):
This is the part of the process where you get to take a lump of clay and start to turn it into art. We would like you to:
• Review raw audio and decide on preliminary edits, while ensuring narrative consistency
• Highlight strong segments from each episode to be used for marketing materials
• Create all in-app copy for each episode. Because this is an educational podcast that is only available on our platform, this will Include: episode descriptions, quiz questions, speaker bio, glossary terms, etc.
QA and Admin (5% of your week)
After the episode goes through post-production, you will need to:
• Review all final episodes for any copy or audio errors
• Prepare episode for upload to app
• Ensure all podcasts are tracked using our project management software
Some Benefits of Working with us….
• A stake in our company
• Post-COVID, an awesome workspace at our downtown Toronto office location at OneEleven (Front & John)
• Results-oriented. We’re not sticklers about needing to run out for a haircut or doctor’s appointment.
• Joining a company that has product/market-fit, including 300% YoY Growth
• Has a team of world-class investors behind us, including William Tunstall-Pedoe, the inventor of Amazon Alexa, Jean Desgagne, Former CEO of GES at the TMX and Dennis Bennie, one of the Founding members of the Creative Destruction Lab
All applicants must be based in Toronto/GTA, as this will be an in office role post COVID19 pandemic.
Please apply for the role here: https://apply.workable.com/lumiq/j/14E45EE197/