Associate Producer, Radio Active (English Services) - EDM00683
Job Family: Programming (TV-Radio-Web)
Primary Location: Edmonton
Status of Employment: Permanent, Full-time
Work at CBC/Radio-Canada
At CBC/Radio-Canada, we create content that informs, entertains and connects Canadians on multiple platforms. Our successes and accomplishments are driven by embodying and upholding values, which include creativity, integrity, inclusiveness and relevance.
Do you think you have the ability and drive to keep up with this exciting, ever-changing industry? Whether it be in front of the camera, on air, online or behind the scenes, you would be joining a team that thrives on making connections and telling stories that are important to Canadians.
CBC Edmonton is looking for an associate producer to join our team working on Radio Active, our afternoon current affairs radio show.
Under the direction of the senior producer , you will chase and produce compelling radio interviews and stories that provide audiences with the news they need to know each afternoon. At 3 p.m. each weekday, you will head into the studio and direct the live show, where you will oversee the pace and rollout of the program by the on-air team, while keeping an ear to any breaking news you need to chase to ensure the program is as up-to-date as possible.
You’re not intimidated by this fast pace and the tight deadlines; instead, you thrive on the adrenaline rush that comes with working with a small, close-knit team on live, local radio. You always have an abundance of original ideas and story pitches, and you will use that drive, as well as your great community contacts, to find creative ways to treat the big news stories of the day on Radio Active.
You are passionate about championing stories and sources from Edmonton’s multicultural communities, and you know that every story needs to include a range of perspectives.
As someone with a deep working knowledge of Alberta, you understand its political landscape and its energy-driven economy, and your work highlights how these issues affect the day-to-day lives of the people who live here.
• Pitch and produce original stories that deepen Radio Active’s community connections and elevate a range of voices.
• Chase and book guests and stories that reflect the day’s top local news.
• Conduct research and interviews, gather audio, write radio scripts, and package and present content.
• Assist the senior producer in building show lineup and run sheets.
• Studio direct Radio Active live between 3-6 pm.
• Chase breaking stories while the show is on air.
• Provide support for on-air personalities.
• Ensure listener feedback is turned around quickly to be reflected on the show.
• Demonstrated experience working in a fast-paced daily news environment.
• Ability to generate, pitch and pursue strong story ideas.
• A strong proven connection to the communities we serve in Edmonton.
• An understanding of Alberta’s political landscape, economic drivers and demographics.
• A proven work ethic and a positive team-first attitude.
• Superior writing, vetting and editing skills.
• Willingness to learn and tackle new tasks across all CBC platforms (TV, radio, digital).
• Sound news judgment and ability to work effectively under newsroom deadline pressure.
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills; a standout colleague.
• A strong desire to live and promote the values of diversity and an inclusive and respectful work culture.
• Must possess a valid driver’s licence as well as a driving record that meets the minimum requirements of CBC/Radio-Canada's insurance company, other classes considered an asset.
• University degree in journalism or equivalent with a minimum of two years of recent, related experience.
• Ability to work a variety of shifts including early starts, late finishes and weekends.
Please include additional documentation or a link to your online demo or website in your cover letter.
Candidates may be subject to skills and knowledge testing.
If this sounds interesting, please click on ''Apply online''. We thank all applicants for their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
CBC/Radio-Canada is committed to being a leader in reflecting our country’s diversity. That’s because we can only create and tell the stories that connect Canadians, by having a workforce that mirrors the ever-changing makeup of our country. That’s why we, as an employer, value equal opportunity and nurture an inclusive workplace where our individual differences are not only recognized and valued, but also extend to and pervade all the services we provide as Canada’s public broadcaster. For more information, visit the Diversity and Inclusion section of our website. If you have accommodation needs at this stage of the recruitment process, please inform us as soon as possible by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
You are invited to consult and familiarize yourself with our Code of Conduct, which can be found on our corporate website. All employees must adhere to the Code as a condition of employment. We also invite you to take a look at our policy on conflicts of interest. In the event that you become an employee, it will be important to inform us, as quickly as possible, of any situation that, because of your hiring, constitutes or could appear to constitute a conflict of interest.
Please apply online at: https://rita.illicohodes.com/go/614b321e25d4b44d8915ce00/55155cf112497d1f5916e365/en