Are you creative, dynamic and passionate? Do you like to think outside of the box and find new ways to achieve your goals? Corus Entertainment has an exciting opportunity for you. If you have a passion for excellence, and would like to work for Corus Entertainment, we encourage you to apply.
Division: Radio Work Status: Full-time Location: Vancouver, BC (Onsite) Openings: 2
About the Role:
Reporting to the Executive Producer and Senior Program Director, you will be responsible for producing a three-hour CKNW Talk Show (Mon-Fri) that is dynamic, interesting, informative, and locally focused.
This position will require an individual that is extremely organized, a great internal communicator, and has the ability and experience to track down and book guests with daily deadlines. Do you have insatiable curiosity to learn, a passion for current affairs and the ability to develop unique angles and conversations around the biggest stories of the day which will stimulate and entertain listeners in the Greater Vancouver region? In addition to producing the show you may also be called upon to execute live broadcasts, promotions, and special projects as assigned.
· Serve your host, serve the show, serve the station and serve the audience.
· Edit all audio clips, pre-recorded interviews and sound effects should be properly prepped before show time.
· Pitch original stories and develop them for broadcast, social and digital media.
· Chase guests with tenacity and enthusiasm.
· Book guests and set up programming debates and forums.
· Build shows with depth and focus, that drive forward the show’s editorial priorities in covering multiple angles of the big stories.
· Research news and current affairs stories for broadcast and digital media.
· Mine your life and your host's life for nuggets of REAL life experience which is talk show worthy.
· Develop a comprehensive, unique, and diverse contact list of insiders, professors, newsmakers, reporters, correspondents, opinion makers, etc.
· Develop and produce special programming around impactful and complex topics.
· Provide an on-air presence (when applicable) on the show (debriefs, montages, reports, investigative series etc.)
· Prepare a show rundown, background info for guests, and research for stories. Highlight where teases, promos, and other show elements fall within the rundown.
· Coordinate with newsroom on breaking news, Amber Alerts, and daily show content.
· Collaborate with other producers on story development and show focus
· Find and tell high quality stories that reflect CKNW as a legacy brand that has evolved as the Lower Mainland has evolved. Seek to represent many sides to a story while always keeping the listener in mind.
· Participate in pre and post show production meetings.
· Provide guidance and feedback to the larger show team on the production of live programming.
· Practice ethical principles of journalism.
· Meet and exceed ratings expectations.
· Perform other duties as required.
What We Need From You:
· Strong leadership and communication skills and the ability to lead a dynamic team
· Tenacious approach in booking guests and news makers to join hosts on-air
· Excellent organizational and time management skills
· News experience, preferably in radio
· Strong and solid interviewing skills
· Curiosity and passion for BC politics, current events and the stories that matter to people in the Lower Mainland.
· Comprehensive and wide-reaching knowledge of local and national news events
· Ability to write for all media platforms
· Expertise in audio editing
· Understanding of Burli, and multitrack audio editing
· Proficiency with social media: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.
· Minimum three years of experience in a major market or equivalent preferred
Why Corus? Corus is a driving force in the media industry with a diverse portfolio of strong brands that entertain and inform audiences through great storytelling and compelling content, reaching millions of people around the world every day. We have a passionate drive to connect with the world around us: to express, to share, to be part of people's lives. Walk around our offices, our stations, our studios across the country and you'll feel it. You'll see it in action. You'll see it in the open communication and the approachability of our people. You'll see it in our care for quality work and the interest in new, creative solutions. You'll see it in how we work with external partners, and how we care about our communities. These are all core to the values we commit to living each and every day - Win Together, Think Beyond, Make It Happen, Learn Every Day, Show We Care. Our values describe what makes us pretty unique - and amazing - place to work. At Corus we value and actively involve the full range of what makes people unique in order to create a strong and innovative company where amazing people thrive. A company where people have the full opportunity to show their unique value and develop their potential. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, people of colour, people with disabilities, people from all gender and sexually diverse communities and people with intersectional identities.
Corus is also committed to providing accommodations throughout the interview and employment process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.