Reporter/Editor, assigned as Mobile Journalist (English Services)- HAP00015
Job Family: Programming (TV-Radio-Web)
Primary Location: Happy Valley - Goose Bay
Status of Employment: Permanent, Full-time
Work at CBC/Radio-Canada
At CBC/Radio-Canada, we create content that informs, entertains and connects Canadians on multiple platforms. Our successes and accomplishments are driven by embodying and upholding values, which include creativity, integrity, inclusiveness and relevance.
Do you think you have the ability and drive to keep up with this exciting, ever-changing industry? Whether it be in front of the camera, on air, online or behind the scenes, you would be joining a team that thrives on making connections and telling stories that are important to Canadians.
CBC Newfoundland and Labrador is looking for candidates with a natural curiosity who love to tell stories with compelling visuals, rich audio and great writing to fill two Mobile Journalist positions based out of Happy Valley Goose Bay. Labrador is diverse and inclusive, a gold mine of interesting characters with stories that speak to the heart of our communities and cultures. It's a place of growth and change. We're seeing a rise in the rights and influence of Indigenous peoples and emergent immigrant communities. There are opportunities to learn, travel and build a career in the North. Join the team that serves the people of Labrador and leads the way in digital storytelling.
Financial assistance is provided to help offset expenses related to relocation. In addition, allowances and provisions for employees working in isolated locations apply.
What do we mean by Mobile Journalist? You are able to file from the field to all platforms with minimal equipment. Delivering breaking news, including video, audio and digital print stories with speed and accuracy. You have a proven ability to go live on any platform. We provide the tools, you bring the journalism and the creativity.
You are hungry for news, chasing breaking stories and keeping on top of the issues that matter most in Happy Valley/Goose Bay. People open up to you with their personal stories. You have a keen eye and ear for the details the audience loves best. You have a history of telling multimedia stories, knowing what works best in photos, video, audio and the written word. You are independent and driven.
· Experience reporting and telling stories from Indigenous and diverse community groups.
· Understanding of the Labrador political and cultural landscape.
· Must be capable of original and creative thought in the production of programming for online, radio, and on social media.
· Passion for telling stories and connecting with our diverse audience wherever they are.
· Demonstrate an understanding and appreciation of diversity of perspective, opinion and experience.
· Strong interest and understanding of Indigenous issues.
· Experience gathering and packaging stories for radio.
· Experience writing news for digital.
· Proven on-air presence.
· Proven skills delivering breaking news for digital and social platforms.
· Visual sensibility - experience taking photographs and shooting video on iPhone and/or DSLR.
· Sense of humour.
· Must possess a valid driver's license as well as a driving record that meets the minimum requirements of CBC/Radio-Canada's insurance company.
· Combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from college plus practical and relevant experience equalling three years.
Please include a link to your online demo in your application.
Candidates may be subject to skills and knowledge testing.
If this sounds interesting, please click on ''Apply online''. We thank all applicants for their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
CBC/Radio-Canada is committed to being a leader in reflecting our country’s diversity. That’s because we can only create and tell the stories that connect Canadians, by having a workforce that mirrors the ever-changing makeup of our country. That’s why we, as an employer, value equal opportunity and nurture an inclusive workplace where our individual differences are not only recognized and valued, but also extend to and pervade all the services we provide as Canada’s public broadcaster. For more information, visit the Diversity and Inclusion section of our website. If you have accommodation needs at this stage of the recruitment process, please inform us as soon as possible by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
You are invited to consult and familiarize yourself with our Code of Conduct, which can be found on our corporate website. All employees must adhere to the Code as a condition of employment. We also invite you to take a look at our policy on conflicts of interest. In the event that you become an employee, it will be important to inform us, as quickly as possible, of any situation that, because of your hiring, constitutes or could appear to constitute a conflict of interest.
Wherever in the wording of the job description either gender is used, it shall be understood to include all genders.
Please apply online at: https://rita.illicohodes.com/go/60664e40132f66053930da17/55155cf112497d1f5916e365/en