Reporter/Editor, CBC Indigenous Unit (English Services) - NOV00008
Job Family: Programming (TV-Radio-Web)
Status of Employment: Permanent, Full-time
Work Location: Halifax
Work at CBC/Radio-Canada
At CBC/Radio-Canada, we create content that informs, entertains and connects Canadians on multiple platforms. Our successes and accomplishments are driven by embodying and upholding values, which include creativity, integrity, inclusiveness and relevance.
Do you think you have the ability and drive to keep up with this exciting, ever-changing industry? Whether it be in front of the camera, on air, online or behind the scenes, you would be joining a team that thrives on making connections and telling stories that are important to Canadians.
About the Unit
CBC Indigenous is a dynamic and creative online community with a goal to engage and reflect the country’s diverse Indigenous audiences and deepen understanding and conversation for all Canadians. We share, elevate and celebrate Indigenous stories at cbc.ca/indigenous, on social media and across all CBC platforms.
The CBC Indigenous unit leverages technology to create content for online and social media, with a strong emphasis on original stories that can also run other platforms such as radio and TV. The Unit works collaboratively with CBC programs and units across the country, pitching and telling stories that increase awareness and understanding of Indigenous stories and communities.
We are looking for a reporter who is deeply connected to Atlantic Canada’s Indigenous communities with a passion for storytelling. You are a creative, strong critical thinker who has in-depth knowledge of Indigenous stories and issues. You will be expected to produce original journalism, write stories mainly for online platforms and deliver to television and radio broadcasts, as required. You must demonstrate and maintain exceptional skills in writing in a clear and concise manner.
In this role, you will ensure that all CBC journalistic standards are met and that our stories are fair, balanced, accurate, thoughtful, immediate and resonate with the communities we serve.
What you bring:
• Ability to generate, pitch and pursue strong, creative story ideas.
• Deep knowledge and/or connection to Atlantic Canada’s Indigenous communities.
• Strong desire to live and promote the values of diversity and an inclusive and respectful work culture.
• Working knowledge of digital news including social media.
• Sound news judgment and ability to work effectively under newsroom deadline pressure.
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills; strong team player.
• Ability to generate original, enterprise journalism.
• Ability to cultivate and develop working relationships with a large pool of sources and contacts.
• Ability to collaborate with colleagues to develop and break stories, plan features and coordinate long-term coverage.
• Flexibility with hours of work and willingness to learn and take on new tasks across all CBC platforms.
• Ability to report for all media platforms is an asset.
• A valid driver’s licence as well as a driving record that meets the minimum requirements of CBC/Radio-Canada's insurance company.
• At least 3 years experience in journalism preferred.
• University degree or equivalent with a minimum of three years relevant experience preferred.
• Preference will be given to candidates with extensive cultural experience, connection and knowledge of Indigenous Communities.
Please include additional documentation or a link to your online demo or website in your cover letter
Candidates may be subject to skills and knowledge testing.
If this sounds interesting, please click on ''Apply online''. We thank all applicants for their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
CBC/Radio-Canada is committed to being a leader in reflecting our country’s diversity. That’s because we can only create and tell the stories that connect Canadians, by having a workforce that mirrors the ever-changing makeup of our country. That’s why we, as an employer, value equal opportunity and nurture an inclusive workplace where our individual differences are not only recognized and valued, but also extend to and pervade all the services we provide as Canada’s public broadcaster. For more information, visit the Diversity and Inclusion section of our website. If you have accommodation needs at this stage of the recruitment process, please inform us as soon as possible by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
You are invited to consult and familiarize yourself with our Code of Conduct, which can be found on our corporate website. All employees must adhere to the Code as a condition of employment. We also invite you to take a look at our policy on conflicts of interest. In the event that you become an employee, it will be important to inform us, as quickly as possible, of any situation that, because of your hiring, constitutes or could appear to constitute a conflict of interest.
Please apply online at: https://rita.illicohodes.com/go/6151be801ef6e8bbf92ee2ca/55155cf112497d1f5916e365/en