Position: (Full Time, Temporary) Reporter
Local Journalism Initiative CRFC ID # LJI-0000000188
Reports to: News Director
Station: The Grand 101.1
Location: Centre Wellington, Wellington County
Application Deadline March 13, 2023
Start Date: April 3, 2023
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
The Grand 101.1 is the main source for local news in Centre Wellington Township and Wellington County. We are looking for a reporter who will be responsible for covering news in the many unique communities that make up Wellington County. The successful candidate will cover county council as well as township council meetings in various areas. The successful candidate will have experience in covering local news and has a passion for finding stories that matter to rural residents.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
• Cover county and township council meetings.
• Find stories that matter to residents of the many communities that make up Wellington County.
• Attend press conferences or other events as scheduled.
• Write stories for newscasts and web content.
• Post and update social media feeds and station website with relevant content.
• Monitor social media and emergency services feeds for potential news sources.
• Localize regional, national, and internationally trending stories for our listening audience.
• Other duties as assigned.
Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Requirements:
• Degree or diploma in journalism.
• Two years of experience in a newsroom setting.
• Superior language, writing and editing skills, with a thorough knowledge of CP Style.
• Experience with Burli and WordPress.
• Strong photography skills.
• Able to work a flexible schedule.
• A valid driver’s license, reliable vehicle, and a good driving record.
• The successful candidate must live in or near Wellington County.
This one-year position is made possible through the Community Radio Fund of Canada (CRFC). The Local Journalism Initiative (LJI) supports the creation of original civic journalism that covers the diverse needs of underserved communities across Canada.
The Grand 101.1 is committed to providing accessible employment practices that follow the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require accommodation for disability during any stage of the recruitment process, please let us know.
Diversity and inclusion are core values at the Grand 101.1. The Grand 101.1 strives to foster a workplace that reflects the diversity of the community we serve and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates from all backgrounds.
The Grand 101.1 is a small market community station with a focus on local. If you have a passion for local news please send your resume, two writing samples, and a demo to:
The Grand 101.1