Are you a detail-oriented news hound who wants to be part of a winning team? Are you social media savvy and ready to implement your vision in a dynamic, exciting environment? If your answer is yes, then apply to be Sr. News Reporter / Editor in Castlegar, BC with Vista Radio.
Nestled in the Heart of the Beautiful West Kootenay, the City of Castlegar is centrally located in the Southern Interior of British Columbia within the Selkirk Mountain Range in the West Kootenay. Castlegar is an active city in a beautiful location where the mountains meet and the rivers converge. From river parks to cultural history on display in everything from events to our international Sculpture Walk, Castlegar has much to enjoy in its own right. Outside the City, the West Kootenays is an amazing place to keep busy entertaining yourself. World class ski hills, championship golf courses, superb mountain biking, rivers to fish, pristine lakes to paddle or boat, this region has it all!
Vista Radio prides itself on a fresh vision of broadcasting and an unparalleled commitment to its community involvement. Vista Radio is privileged to operate 43 radio stations (and growing) broadcasting across 70+ transmitters located in three Provinces and the Northwest Territories.
If you are looking for a career that offers challenging work, long-term growth potential and the chance to make a real difference, then join our team. With more than 250 employees across Canada our team is passionately dedicated to our communities and is committed to generating exceptional local radio.
● To maintain the station(s) local news and website brands
● Researching and writing news stories
● Executing an excruciatingly local broadcast
● Represent the radio station at community events
● Post to social media, maintain and manage social media sites
● Establish a weekly one-on-one call with direct reports within the market
● Liaise with the Vista Director of News weekly or on an as needed basis to ensure local news content is being fulfilled
● Provide cluster news staff with story ideas (including streeters) on localizing large national/international stories.
● Coach writing skills and edit stories before going to air or online
● Establish scheduling for sick days, holiday coverage etc.
● Participate weekly in a writing check/air-check session of your own word with Vista’s Director of News
● Participate in the monthly Vista News conference call
● Minimum 3 years working full time in a newsroom or equivalent journalism experience
● Strong verbal and written communication skills
● Strong on-air delivery
● Knowledge of video and Adobe Premier considered an asset
● The ability to work within a fast-paced environment both individually and with a team
● A valid driver's license
● Working familiarity with Adobe Audition, Newsroom, and on-air software is a big-time plus.
● Ability to use and excel with social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc)
Email a link to a Soundcloud/YouTube or mp3 audio demo with your resume, as well as samples of your writing, to Wendy Gray at firstname.lastname@example.org
As an equal-opportunity employer, we encourage applications from all qualified individuals.