Are you a detail-oriented news hound who wants to lead a winning team? Are you social media savvy and ready to implement your vision in a dynamic, exciting environment? If your answer is yes, then apply to be News Director in Alberta and the Northwest Territories with Vista Radio.
Join our team for a career that offers challenging work, long-term growth potential and the chance to make a real difference. With more than 300 employees our team is passionately dedicated to their communities and is committed to generating exceptional local radio.
Vista Radio prides itself on a fresh vision of broadcasting and an unparalleled commitment to its community involvement. Vista Radio is privileged to operate 34 community websites, as well as 48 radio stations (and growing) broadcasting across more than 70 transmitters located in three Provinces and the Northwest Territories.
● Develop a writing and air check schedule for all on-air news talent within the cluster
● Establish a weekly one-on-one call with direct reports within the market
● Liaise with the Director of News to ensure local news content is being fulfilled
● Provide news staff with story ideas (including streeters), coaching and mentoring on localizing large national/international stories.
● Establish scheduling for sick days, holiday coverage etc.
● Participate in the monthly Vista News Directors conference call
● Help maintain news presence written/video quotas on websites
● Responsible for sourcing and writing news stories for multiple markets as required.
● Edit and anchor news, sports and weather as assigned
● Utilize social media to build audience and contacts
● Being a positive leader in the building and assist in creating a winning team attitude
● Represent the station at community/station events
● Minimum 5 years working full time in a newsroom or equivalent journalism experience, news management experience considered an asset
● Strong verbal and written communication skills
● Strong on-air delivery
● Knowledge of video and Adobe Premier considered an asset
● The ability to work within a fast-paced environment both individually and with a team
● A valid driver's license
● Working familiarity with Adobe Audition, Newsroom, and on-air software is a big-time plus.
● Ability to use and excel with social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.)
Email your resume to Wendy Gray, Director of News at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please attach a link to a Soundcloud/YouTube or mp3 audio demo with your resume, as well as samples of your writing.
As an equal-opportunity employer, we encourage applications from all qualified individuals.