Video-Journalist (English Services) - GRA00015
Job Family: Programming (TV-Radio-Web)
Primary Location: Grande Prairie, Alberta
Status of Employment: Permanent, Full-time
Work at CBC/Radio-Canada
At CBC/Radio-Canada, we create content that informs, entertains and connects Canadians on multiple platforms. Our successes and accomplishments are driven by embodying and upholding values, which include creativity, integrity, inclusiveness and relevance.
Do you think you have the ability and drive to keep up with this exciting, ever-changing industry? Whether it be in front of the camera, on air, online or behind the scenes, you would be joining a team that thrives on making connections and telling stories that are important to Canadians.
Are you an ambitious self-starter and collaborative team player who is passionate about local news and current events, excels at both breaking news and enterprise journalism, and has a strong interest in uncovering issues that matter to your audience?
CBC Edmonton is looking for an experienced video journalist to tell the stories of Grande Prairie and northern Alberta. A keen observer and critical thinker, you must be able to analyze a broad range of issues and thrive in the fast-paced, high-pressure world of multi-platform news.
As someone with a deep working knowledge of Alberta, you understand its political landscape and its energy-driven economy, and you understand how these issues affect the day-to-day lives of the people who live in and around Grande Prairie. You are passionate about learning new perspectives and championing stories from under-represented communities.
In this role, you will operate independently under the general direction of the senior producer of assignment, to research, gather, package and present stories for digital, radio and TV. You will ensure that all CBC journalistic standards are met and that our stories are fair, balanced, accurate, thoughtful and immediate, and that they resonate with the communities we serve.
• Pitch, research, write and produce original story ideas for digital, radio and TV programming that will engage and inform the audience, deepen our connections in Grande Prairie and northern Alberta, and elevate a range of voices.
• Regularly present stories on-air, providing analysis and context to enhance the audience’s understanding of issues.
• Respond quickly to breaking news events as they unfold.
• Deliver exclusive and enterprise material on a regular basis.
• Distill large amounts of complex information under tight time constraints.
• Cultivate and develop working relationships with a large pool of sources and contacts.
• Collaborate with colleagues to develop and break stories, plan features and coordinate long-term coverage.
• Ability to generate, pitch and pursue strong, original stories.
• Strong proven connection to communities in northern Alberta.
• Demonstrated professional experience using various news platforms, including digital, social, radio and television.
• Ability to disseminate complex information to a general audience and across all platforms.
• Experience in gathering and editing audio, and shooting and editing video.
• Ability to present stories live on-air, from within the studio and out in the field.
• Experience with Freedom of Information requests and database journalism, as well as covering business and politics, would be considered assets.
• Ability to work in high-pressure environments with considerable deadline constraints and a significant degree of public scrutiny.
• Willingness to learn and tackle new tasks across all CBC platforms.
• Ability to forge positive team relationships and keen to work on a team that values collaboration and transparency.
• Strong desire to live and promote the values of diversity and an inclusive and respectful work culture.
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills; a standout colleague.
• University degree in journalism or equivalent with a minimum of three years of recent, related experience in a multiplatform newsroom.
• Ability to work independently with superior problem-solving skills
• Possession of a valid driver’s licence as well as a driving record that meets the minimum requirements of CBC/Radio-Canada's insurance company, other classes considered an asset.
• Ability to work a variety of shifts including early starts, late finishes and weekends.
Candidates may be subject to skills and knowledge testing.
All employees of CBC/Radio-Canada are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as of December 1st, 2021 unless exempted based on a medical/religious ground. As per this requirement, employees must attest to their vaccination status. The requirement for employees to be fully vaccinated applies whether they are teleworking, working remotely or working on-site. This is a condition of employment and it applies to all employees. Should you reach the point in the selection process where it is necessary to verify if you meet the conditions of employment, you will be asked to provide an attestation confirming your COVID-19 vaccination status.
If this sounds interesting, please click on ''Apply online''. We thank all applicants for their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
CBC/Radio-Canada is committed to being a leader in reflecting our country’s diversity. That’s because we can only create and tell the stories that connect Canadians, by having a workforce that mirrors the ever-changing makeup of our country. That’s why we, as an employer, value equal opportunity and nurture an inclusive workplace where our individual differences are not only recognized and valued, but also extend to and pervade all the services we provide as Canada’s public broadcaster. For more information, visit the Diversity and Inclusion section of our website. If you have accommodation needs at this stage of the recruitment process, please inform us as soon as possible by sending an e-mail to email@example.com
You are invited to consult and familiarize yourself with our Code of Conduct, which can be found on our corporate website. All employees must adhere to the Code as a condition of employment. We also invite you to take a look at our policy on conflicts of interest. In the event that you become an employee, it will be important to inform us, as quickly as possible, of any situation that, because of your hiring, constitutes or could appear to constitute a conflict of interest.
Please apply online at: https://rita.illicohodes.com/go/628262c466595532a6ad9f24/55155cf112497d1f5916e365/en