Host, Weekend Morning Show (English Services) - WIN00879
Job Family: Programming (TV-Radio-Web)
Primary Location: Winnipeg
Status of Employment: Contract, Full-time
Work at CBC/Radio-Canada
At CBC/Radio-Canada, we create content that informs, entertains and connects Canadians on multiple platforms. Our successes and accomplishments are driven by embodying and upholding values, which include creativity, integrity, inclusiveness and relevance.
Do you think you have the ability and drive to keep up with this exciting, ever-changing industry? Whether it be in front of the camera, on air, online or behind the scenes, you would be joining a team that thrives on making connections and telling stories that are important to Canadians.
CBC Manitoba is looking for a dynamic new Radio Host for our Weekend Morning Show!
• You are an insatiably curious storyteller with a passion for drawing information, stories and accountability out of interview subjects on a daily basis.
• You are passionate about Manitoba, its diverse people and perspectives. You have a strong desire to give listeners knowledge, insight and a deeper understanding about their province. You are a community-builder.
• You have an eclectic range of interests in topics both local and beyond -- from politics to social issues to business, pop culture, science and environment and everything in between. As an interviewer, you are an active listener who seeks clarity and understanding, anticipating what the audience needs and wants to know.
• You have an ability to be a leader in upholding and demonstrating the highest of CBC’s journalistic standards and practices.
• You bring curiosity but also something beyond -- a demonstrated openness to diverse perspectives and ideas -- as well as an understanding that using a full range of tones, including humour, is key to strong radio current affairs programming. You are enthusiastic about experimenting with talk formats, including taking risks with innovative treatments of topics.
• You are comfortable going on the air live at any time, reacting to breaking news and changing events, updating and remaking the program as needed.
• You are a natural storyteller with a proven ability to discover and bring to life -- in the field and in the studio -- people and issues that reflect Winnipeg today.
• You will play a key role in helping us connect with, and grow, new audiences through the range of stories and perspectives presented on the program, as well as through regular outreach and public events.
• You lead by example in promoting the values of an inclusive and respectful work culture.
Please note that this is a full time, one year contract position subject to review and renewal.
• As an editorial leader on the team, works to ensure the program mandate is always reflected in the show:
• Conduct multiple daily live and taped interviews.
• Write, collaborate on and perform scripts.
• Perform a variety of tasks associated with the preparation and on-air presentation of program material on radio, digital and social.
• Conceive of original stories and concepts and work collaboratively to produce them.
• Build relationships with a diverse cross-section of key community leaders to enhance our understanding of the region and to increase the range of voices and perspectives on the program.
• Keeping on top of important news developments throughout the day with an eye to ensuring the program is always relevant and topical.
• Moderate and participate in public events, representing the Weekend Morning Show and CBC Manitoba.
We are looking for a candidate with the following:
• Engaging, curious, spontaneous and intellectually challenging on-air personality.
• Wide range of genuine interests, knowledge and insight, reflecting curiosity in many current affairs topics, and an ability to make them relevant to existing and new audiences.
• Strong knowledge and understanding of, and/or connection to underrepresented communities in Winnipeg.
• Demonstrably engaged, interested and immersed in a wide range of diverse experiences that make up Winnipeg.
• Openness to diverse perspectives and ideas, and differing points of view, is critical.
• Strong journalistic skills, demonstrated through critical thinking in interviewing and innovative storytelling.
• Creative ideas around the use of social media and digital platforms to connect with and grow audiences.
• Ability to build relationships and contacts inside and outside CBC Manitoba.
• Genuinely loves public outreach and is an enthusiastic ambassador of public broadcasting and the program.
• University degree or equivalent preferred.
• Five years of relevant or comparable experience preferred.
• Ability to participate in community outreach events.
Please provide a cover letter and samples of on-air work. May be subject to an audition in English and knowledge testing.
Candidates may be subject to skills and knowledge testing.
All employees of CBC/Radio-Canada are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as of December 1st 2021 unless exempted based on a medical/religious ground. As per this requirement, employees must attest to their vaccination status. The requirement for employees to be fully vaccinated applies whether they are teleworking, working remotely or working on-site. This is a condition of employment and it applies to all employees. Should you reach the point in the selection process where it is necessary to verify if you meet the conditions of employment, you will be asked to provide an attestation confirming your COVID-19 vaccination status.
If this sounds interesting, please click on ''Apply online''. We thank all applicants for their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
CBC/Radio-Canada is committed to being a leader in reflecting our country’s diversity. That’s because we can only create and tell the stories that connect Canadians, by having a workforce that mirrors the ever-changing makeup of our country. That’s why we, as an employer, value equal opportunity and nurture an inclusive workplace where our individual differences are not only recognized and valued, but also extend to and pervade all the services we provide as Canada’s public broadcaster. For more information, visit the Diversity and Inclusion section of our website. If you have accommodation needs at this stage of the recruitment process, please inform us as soon as possible by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
You are invited to consult and familiarize yourself with our Code of Conduct, which can be found on our corporate website. All employees must adhere to the Code as a condition of employment. We also invite you to take a look at our policy on conflicts of interest. In the event that you become an employee, it will be important to inform us, as quickly as possible, of any situation that, because of your hiring, constitutes or could appear to constitute a conflict of interest.
Please apply online at: https://rita.illicohodes.com/go/627ac6a17b40976298513d42/55155cf112497d1f5916e365/en